Foods You Should Never Feed Your Bernedoodle Puppy
You have decided to treat your Bernedoodle with food from the table as a reward, and you know that there are some foods designer dogs just cannot tolerate or that could cause serious problems. What foods should you never feed your dog?
Not surprisingly, a lot of dogs like to beg for table scraps. (So would you if all you ate was dog food). At the same time, most veterinarians discourage the practice of feeding a dog from the table, but now and then is probably okay. You want to make sure that your puppy can tolerate what you eat. The last thing you want is to make their digestive systems run amok and have to clean up a mess, or worse, make an expensive run to the vet that empties your wallet.
Certain foods that designer dogs, like the Bernedoodle, do not handle very well and are known to cause digestive problems or kill your pet. Since one of the parent breeds, the Poodle, tends toward sensitive stomachs, it is helpful to know what food can wreak havoc on the digestive system of your new family pet.
Extreme caution should be taken whenever you feed your dog to ensure that they receive the proper nutrition for an active lifestyle. Just because you like it and can digest it does not mean your pet can!
1. Chocolate and Cocoa Products
Chocolate has a chemical substance called theobromine that is very toxic to dogs. Even though your puppy has gotten into some chocolate behind your back and seemed to handle it all right, the amount of theobromine varies in different applications of chocolate. The toxicity of their consumption of chocolate will depend on three things.
- Weight of the Dog
- Amount of Theobromine in the chocolate
- How much the Dog ingested
Since different amounts of chocolate have different levels of theobromine, owners should use care to avoid chocolate or cocoa. Baking morsels have high levels of theobromine, so no chocolate chip cookies. Even if your puppy does not ingest a toxic level of theobromine, it can cause diarrhea and vomiting.
2. Caffeinated Products
A close cousin to chocolate is caffeine. While humans love the jolt that they often receive from the cup of joe, it can seriously affect a dog’s heart rate, making them hyperactive and skittish. Caffeine is absorbed into the bloodstream through the intestines and has been known to create liver, kidney, and even heart issues. With the popularity of products like energy drinks, sodas, or diet pills, many people handle lots of things containing caffeine every day (which means more opportunities for a dog to ingest it).
The dog will likely become hyperactive and need to pee more frequently. Do not share your energy drink or soda with your pet, as many are loaded with caffeine.
3. Grapes, Raisins, Currants
Recent studies have shown that tartaric acid, more scientifically known as potassium bitartrate, is why grapes, raisins, and currants are highly toxic to dogs. The acid can cause diarrhea, vomiting, and, worse, acute renal failure, and should a pet ingest it, a vet visit is necessary. (Do not wait, the sooner a vet acts to induce vomiting, the better the pet’s chances).
Many people do not realize how that cream of tartar is the powdery acid by-product of fermented grapes. While the cream of tartar is used as a stiffening agent for recipes involving egg whites, it is also used in many other applications, including most jams, jellies, sour candy, angel food cake, macaroons, snickerdoodles, and even whipped creams. Tartaric acid is used in leavening products like baking sodas or powders. Of course, any wine product should be avoided (it is made with grapes and contain the acid in large quantities).
Xylitol is an artificial sweetener in many products, including gum, candy, baked goods, ketchup, bbq sauces, and even peanut butter. Many products are using these kinds of sweeteners (Be sure to look at the ingredient label, anything with xyl in it is a sure bet to contain the sweetener and should be avoided).
This product tends to cause insulin release in most animals, leading to hypoglycemia (lowered sugar levels). Initial signs of toxicity include vomiting, lethargy, dry nose, and a disinterest in any kind of activity. In some cases, seizures can occur, which may signify liver failure.
5. Dairy Products
Most dogs do not have the enzymes needed to break down lactose (sugars in dairy) that humans have. While minimal quantities of dairy are usually tolerable (bits of cheese or milk), excessive dairy intake can create digestive issues like terrible gas, loose stools, and even diarrhea. It is probably best to avoid milk knowing the propensity of Poodles to have contrarian digestive systems (unless you just like cleaning loose stools from your carpets).
6. Citruses like Lemons, Oranges, and Limes
While there are numerous nutrients in an orange or tangerine, in high quantities, citrus fruits have a high acidic content that can sometimes be detrimental to a dog’s digestive system. Many dogs will chew an orange or grab a lemon slice, chew it a couple of times, and spit it out. (Dogs prefer sweet rather than sour things).
Not all nuts are toxic to dogs, but care should be given when feeding them. It is best to avoid them because nuts have oils and acids that lead to pancreatic issues. Salted nuts will lead to water retention, and even small nuts can create choking hazards in smaller versions of the Bernedoodle.
While not a food perse, the amount of medical marijuana being consumed in this country is skyrocketing and is bound to find its way into the digestive tracts of our furry friends. This drug’s effects on canines are similar to humans. It slows heart rates, suppresses the nervous system, and can lead to vomiting because of an inability to tolerate the toxins. Interestingly enough, medication intake is one of the fastest-growing reasons people take their dogs to vets for emergencies.